Diagnosis and Back Pain Treatment near Jacksonville, FL
Back pain is a very prevalent issue – about 80% of people will experience it at some point in their lives whether it is chronic or not. It is one of the most common health issues in America. Here is how you can get a diagnosis, and start back pain treatment near Jacksonville, FL, at our pain clinic.
What is Chronic Back Pain?
Chronic back pain is classified as back pain persisting for three months or more, no matter the cause. There are many different types of chronic back pain:
- Mechanical – this includes any condition involving the spine and surrounding muscles, such as muscle tension, herniated discs, or scoliosis.
- Injury – This can be traumatic, or caused by repetitive strain over a long period.
- Diseases and Medical Conditions – Disease and medical conditions like arthritis can cause chronic back pain. Some expectant mothers also experience chronic back pain throughout pregnancy.
- Infections and Tumors – Tumors on the spine and bone infections can also be linked to chronic back pain, though this is less common.
Figuring out which of these types your back pain falls under is the first step when your doctor is planning your back pain treatment near Jacksonville, FL.
Diagnosing Chronic Back Pain
Diagnosing back pain can be tricky and involve a lot of testing. It is important to pin down the cause of your pain before beginning treatment, so your doctor will be very thorough. They will need some information from you so that they can narrow down what tests to give:
- When did your pain begin?
- How would you rate your pain, on a scale of 1-10?
- How would you describe your pain? Is it burning, sharp, or throbbing?
- Have you noticed anything that makes your pain better?
- What makes your pain worse?
When you first notice your chronic pain, be sure to observe it carefully so that you have information to give the doctor. For tips on how to effectively compile this information, see our blog post on how to create a pain journal.
Treatments for Chronic Back Pain
Treatment for chronic back pain will vary depending on your official diagnosis. There is a wide variety of treatments your doctor may prescribe, including:
- Muscle Relaxers
- Physical Therapy
- Traction or Realignment
- Alternative Treatments like Massage and Acupuncture
- Steroid Injections
- Heat or Ice
- Nerve Blocks
- Surgery (In Severe Cases)
If you are suffering from chronic pain, visit First Coast Pain for back pain treatment near Jacksonville, FL. We provide a personalized approach to treating your pain. Reach out to us at 904-800-7246 or book your first appointment online.